HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
COMBAT RESOURCES
Photobucket
Time Until Next Post
Resources
Photobucket
Photobucket
Zone Chart
Zone1 (East end, hallway outside the chamber): Double doors leading in to the hallway can be shut and bolted from the inside of the chamber.:
OCCUPY: Midnorton

Zone2 (Eastern half of the audience chamber): This is the main floor of the chamber, where all of the cultists have convened. It is literally a throng of men, and so moving into Zone3 would require an AGI check of 25 or more to avoid being pulled down and trampled by the crowd:
OCCUPY: Valaren, Skyler

Zone3 (Western half of the audience chamber): Here there is a raised platform, where there is an altar beneath a giant golden statue that is suspended in mid-air.:
OCCUPY: Masked CULT LEADER, Pregnant woman, Artimus, Garvan

Difficulty Ratings
Photobucket

Share | 

Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lore Keeper
Admin

Reknown : 9

PostSubject: Re: Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.   17.09.12 10:46

[ A quick reminder. Don't assume anything to be happening to another NPC - for example, do not say "when Wulfric had his hand upon Cherous' shoulder", because you never know if Cherous might withdraw a rapier and cut his head off before that happens.

Also, if you put a conditional on questioning Cherous after Wulfric has ahold of him, then I might say that cherous backs up and pulls a blade, and that means that your entire conversation doesnt happen,...which is kind of confusing for narrative purposes.

In this instance, I'm going to assume Wulfric moves into range to either strike or restrain Cherous with the appropriate checks, of course, and Im going to assume the conversation happens anyhow, to keep the narrative going.

Regards,

-LK]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://empireinblood.forumstech.com
Artimus

Reknown : 8

Character sheet
HP:
15/21  (15/21)
EXP:
1375/5000  (1375/5000)
WEAPONS:

PostSubject: Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.   17.09.12 10:51

I didn't intend to imply that the action of wulf grabbing the man had already occured, rather to pre-pose what would be said when\if it did. otherwise my post would have been very limited 'grab that guy, k thnx'

I tried to make the condition nature of the actions clear with my posts clarificaiton at the end.

this is one of the toughest elements to convey natureally. As we write in the past tense so implying future conditional tense is difficult.

( Artimus has his blade drawn, waits for Wulfric to have a hand on Chorous before questioning him and waits for Therus to answer Garvan’s question before pressing his. Artimus will not allow anyone to leave without answering.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lore Keeper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.   17.09.12 11:29

Yeah I completely understand that.

My only point is, we need to play it a little less definite than that.

Instead of:

Conversation happens when Wulf grabs the man.

it could be

Artimus gestures for wulfric to move closer to the man, within striking range.

I guess my biggest hangup is making your full conversation there conditional on wulfric putting his hand upon cherous, which in the end is actually an attack action (touch attack, but nonetheless). It just becomes confusing because if were actually going to roll for that, then its another posting round, and your conversation is just sitting there lost int he shuffle.

Now to be fair, I could have just handwaved that by and said "hand on a shoulder, whatever". However, I know that positioning and touch attacks can do things like provoke attack of opportunities (you taught me that, Dan) so I want to make sure were squared up on all fronts.

Basically, in the future I think its prudent to have your conversations and state your intentions for controlling the battlefield. However, when it comes to restraining, touching, or otherwise putting yoursel fin a better position physically against your opponent, it must be implied and then rolled for.

Cheers

-Lk
Back to top Go down
Artimus

Character sheet
HP:
15/21  (15/21)
EXP:
1375/5000  (1375/5000)
WEAPONS:

PostSubject: Re: Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.   17.09.12 12:14

I Understand what you're saying. for sure. that's largely the intenet really, is to get wulf to roll it, however I can't do it on his behalf, also I'm not going to indight someone so viciously and give them opportunity to turn tail and run. I would assume dylan will roll in his post. so maybe a note to him, to roll or maybe he'll do something different.

I just want to give the option to keep the pace if possible, while retaining true and earnest actions from characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lore Keeper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.   17.09.12 12:37

Agreed, absolutely. Be aware though, that grabbing someone is usually an act of aggression. Like when Mousill grabbed you, I wasnt even thinking about it being anything other than flavour. But its totally offensive to your characters space and you took it as a direct attack.

Back to top Go down
Artimus

Character sheet
HP:
15/21  (15/21)
EXP:
1375/5000  (1375/5000)
WEAPONS:

PostSubject: Re: Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.   17.09.12 15:06

someone is liable to get their arm broken Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.   

Back to top Go down

Conversation about implying NPC actionnes.
Page 1 of 1